Baldur’s Gate 3 is a continuation of the cult turn-based RPG in which you take control of a small squad consisting of unique characters. Each party member is of great importance to tactics and represents an individual with his own character, history and abilities. Baldur’s Gate 3 invites you to explore the large open world of the Forgotten Realm. The plot does not act as a direct continuation of the previous part, however, illithids appear in the narrative - they are also mind flayers. The story begins with the hero being imprisoned by these evil creatures. The game is based on the fifth edition of Dungeons & Dragons, and events develop in the Forgotten Realms universe.
Before the start of the campaign, you can create a playable character. There are 15 races to choose from, each of which has its own characteristics. However, you can choose from ready-made heroes who have a written biography and certain skills at the start. The main character’s squad consists of four people. As you progress through the campaign, you will meet new heroes who can be taken into the party.
The difference from its predecessor is that the battles in Baldur’s Gate III are completely turn-based, while previous games in the series were based on a tactical pause. The player can control each hero of the party and interact with the environment and partners. You can enhance weapons and attacks with fire or poison. The use of auxiliary items is allowed. For example, after spilling oil across the battlefield or pouring it onto your opponents, shoot a fire arrow to make them burst into flames.
By using the stealth skill, there is a chance to avoid battle. Extinguish torches and candles to darken the area. By moving through dark areas of the location, you can bypass patrols unnoticed. By using the special spell “Blackout”, you can plunge the area into darkness, depriving the enemy of visibility. Make a quiet kill or go unnoticed - the gameplay is varied and encourages any tactical decisions.
• Join forces in battle or split a squad to do their own things and tasks. Together, develop the perfect campaign plan… or introduce an element of chaos into it at the most unexpected moment for your comrades.
• Each of them has their own unique characteristics, desires, plans and views of the world. Each story is intertwined with the overall plot, and how it ends depends on your choice: salvation, victory, defeat, redemption… You can’t count all the possibilities.
• Based on 5th edition D&D. Team initiative, advantages and disadvantages, rolls on modifiers and combat cameras, expanded interaction with surrounding objects and a new level of flexibility that rewards the smart and forward-thinking - try it and judge for yourself.
• …and from dice rolls. No matter who you play, no matter what happens, everything will affect the world around you and its inhabitants.
• You can pause the world around you at any time, even outside of combat. Use this when you need to get into an advantageous position before a fight, pull off a heist with surgical precision, or avoid a deadly trap. Split your squad, set up ambushes, sneak in the dark - make your own luck!